You know, throughout history, the Catholic Church has been at the epicenter of many an embarrassing scandal.
The Spanish Inquisition.
The persecution of Galileo Galilei (how’s that for an I-told-you-so?).
The Mary Magdalene and gnostic gospels cover-up.
The possession of enough wealth to feed sub-Saharan Africa for a week. Vow of poverty my ass…
And of course, the whole “sex abuse by priests” thingy (pun only halfway intended).
But this is up there.
Don King, the sleazy boxing promoter/windbag who once ran a gambling ring and was convicted of killing two men (for which he only served four years), had a one-on-one audience with Pope Benedict XVI. That’s the real pope!
King, the ultra-classy promoter of the boxer who attacked his sparring partner with a hatchet, reportedly “gave the pope a green-and-gold boxing belt and a handwritten letter asking for prayers for people ranging from President Bush to the world’s sick and aged.”
So many things to point out here.
1. Who gives the pope a boxing belt?
2. Who asks the pope to PRAY FOR GEORGE BUSH? Well, maybe it makes sense, but still.
3. Who walks through St. Peter’s Square, “waving Italian and Vatican flags and signing autographs”?
4. What are the odds that Don King actually asked the pope if he was interested in fighting the Dalai Lama in a special Pay-Per-View event?
5. What are the odds that PB16 asked King about “this Bush fellow all my handlers keep telling me about”?
6. Actually, what are the odds that King was the first black person PB16 has ever talked to?
7. Mike Tyson was scheduled to go, but the pope was afraid of him and refused him entry into the Vatican. The face tattoo was “too Beelzebub.”
8. This pope is a bit of a rabble-rouser. First, he says Mohammed was evil, then he condemns the gays and then he discredits the Big Bang theory. Hm. Let’s just PB16 ain’t exactly in good standing with the intelligent crowd.
Don King goes one-on-one with the pope [SFGate]