- Four days removed from Fresno, youngster Fred Lewis went 5 for 6 and became the 24th Giant in history to hit for the cycle as the Giants managed to split a four-game set with the Rockies. [ESPN]
- In addition to this Fred Lewis fellow, some other kids had a career day. It’s almost as the Giants should look into a youth movement or something … We’re laying on the sarcasm pretty thick, in case you can’t tell. Or maybe you’re just convinced Bengie Molina is the missing link to lead the Gigantes to a championship. [SJ Merc]
- Speaking of the rooks, the guys over at McCovey Chronicles have compiled a list of the best position players that came through the Giants’ system since Matt Williams. With Armando Rios and Deivi Cruz heading the ranks, let’s just say that it ain’t pretty. [McCovey Chronicles]
- In today’s surprisingly sensible news, Russ Ortiz may move to the bullpen upon his return. [SFGate]
- Our man Omar passed Ozzie Smith to establish a new major league record for double plays turned by a shortstop: 1, 591. [ESPN]
- The Giants continue their 20-games-in-a-row thing tonight in Houston. Matt Morris (4-1, 3.11) goes against Woody Williams (1-5, 5.10).