In lieu of our normal nostalgia feature, where we give you a recap/update of a Bay Area sports personality, we’re just going to give you some fun facts about 1989 MVP, bare-handed outfielder and two-time All Star Kevin Mitchell, because we just can’t make this stuff up:
- In 1982, he fought with teammate Darryl Strawberry … during a pickup basketball game.
- During the final inning of Game Six 1986 Mets-Red Sox World Series (aka the Bill Buckner inning), Mitchell was in the clubhouse making plane reservations.
- In 1995, Mitchell opted to play in Japan, where he became the highest paid player in Japanese history.
- In 1998, he was arrested for assaulting … his father.
- In 2000, while in the minors, he punched the opposing team’s owner in the mouth during a brawl and was suspended for nine games.
- Mitchell’s famous gold tooth is rumored to have come after he broke his tooth eating a frozen chocolate donut.
- Finally, in Dwight Gooden’s autobiography, Gooden recounts a story where Mitchell held his friends hostage and then decapitated his girlfriend’s cat with a 12-inch knife: “I was horrified by the sight: Mitch was holding the cat’s head in one hand, while the body dropped to the floor, blood pouring out from where the head once was, limbs still twitching.” … Happy Wednesday, kids.
Kevin Mitchell [Wikipedia]
Kevin Mitchell [Urban Legend Reference Pages]