- Brian Wilson and Bruce Bochy got tossed after Wilson hit Yorvit Torrealba in the eighth inning of a one-run ballgame with a man on first. For some reason, plate umpire Jerry Meals thought Wilson intended to put the tying run in scoring position. The nonsensical ejection cost the Giants the win, as Brad Hennessey coughed up the game. [SFGate]
- The Giants’ newest pitching darlings might be a pair of September call-ups: Dan Giese and Erick Threets. The 30-year-old Giese used to be a car salesman and the 6-5, 240-lb Threets tops out at 100 mph. [SFGate]
- Meanwhile, here are some other intriguing September call-ups. [McCovey Chronicles]
- No matter who gets called up, Omar Vizquel will be at shortstop. [SFGate]
- Jack Taschner will be sent back home to have his left shoulder examined. There goes any playoff hopes.
- Now that the youngsters are getting more and more playing time, the Barry Bonds era is waning in its last four weeks. [ESPN]
- Brian Sabean’s report card contains more D’s than this month’s Maxim. [Giants Cove]
- Russ Ortiz is out for this season and next. [The FanHouse]