July 31, 2007
Well that didn’t take long, did it?
In the first padded practice of training camp, budding superstar RB somehow broke his right hand during a non-contact ball-handling drill:
… Coach Mike Nolan said he would not practice with the team for the remainder of the week. Gore will be re-evaluated next Monday, and Nolan expects him to return to practice then with a cast on his hand.
“He’ll be ready for the latter part of preseason, but his participating in the preseason, we’ll wait and see on that,” Nolan said.
Gore has a long history with injuries already (he’s had surgeries on both knees and both shoulders; heavens Frankie), but the bigger problem may be his propensity for putting the ball on the ground. He already fumbled six times last year, and this latest injury can’t be good in that department.
This can’t be a good omen for the trendy darkhorse pick to win the NL West. Is this a fluke accident that will be forgotten by opening day or the first indications that heavy expectations may weigh the Niners down?
Gore breaks bone in right hand, may miss preseason [ESPN]
May 17, 2007
Apologies for the lack of A’s coverage lately …
- While the Giants sort through their own closer issues, the A’s are making a solid case that their situation is much worse. Last night, the A’s blew their second save in as many nights as Kiki Calero couldn’t close the door against the Kansas City Royals. [SJ Merc]
- Good news though: there’s no bad news after Huston Street’s initial MRI exam. [SJ Merc]
- You know your team is plagued by injuries when it’s a crushing blow that Chris Snelling had to be put on the disabled list. Snelling’s is the 10th DL stint this year for the A’s, including just about every outfielder on the team not named Shannon Stewart. [ESPN]
- New Jersey kid Jack Cust has hit seven homeruns in his first 35 at-bats. So hot right now. Jack Cust. [NY Daily News]
- What’s this? Dave Stewart is an Indians fan all of a sudden? [Sports Action]
- When Barry Zito returns to the Coliseum on Friday night, what type of reaction will he gets from the Oakland faithful? [The Drumbeat]
- And there’s tons of other A’s injury news: rehab starts gone wrong, sore right hips, yada yada yada. [Official Site]
March 14, 2007
UCLA All-Pac 10 point guard and catalyst Darren Collison sprained his ankle in practice yesterday. He’s listed as probable for Thursday’s game. Tomorrow should be a cakewalk for the Bruins, but you can bet that Collison–who missed the West Virginia game earlier this year, with disastrous results–will be back on Saturday’s game against Gonzaga/Indiana. Nonetheless, this is not good news for Bruins fans. And plenty of people just decided to take Kansas instead.
UCLA Report [LA Times]